Tuesday, December 19, 2006

FACT

Youth camp was quite simply AWESOME!

Even if I did feel like a senior citizen a number of times I have to say I had a blast at a camp that I did not look forward to or have much hope for. Jude, Alpha, Andrew, Roy, Mel, Carolyn, Cheryl and Willie I have to thank you so much for restoring my faith in the future of the AMKMC youth fellowship and for putting a burden in my heart to be there for you guys and the ones like you. Truly God answers prayer.

A major part of the camp was visiting homes for the elderly and bringing them Christmas gifts and all. I'd only been to an old folks home once before in my life and I have to admit that I was a little freaked out by it, having been presented for the first time the despair and destitution that old age can bring. The prospect of going to Orange Valley had me more than a little apprehensive. On arriving I felt really helpless because I found myself unable to communicate effectively with the residents not least due to my crappy chinese and non-existent dialect. But the youth blew me away when they showed no sign of hesitation and eagerly engaged in conversation with the ah gongs and ah mas and showed a tenacity I could never have imagined. Andrew even went so far as to start giving out hugs to each and every resident, a gift they recieved with huge smiles and lots of gratitude. So many of these people have stories to tell and, for a while at least, they had someone to tell them to. I could only watch in sheer admiration as these youth loved as Christ did.

A few weeks back I'd been feeling hopelessly lost in my Christian walk because I felt as if I was going to service simply because it'd become my Sunday ritual. I'd felt stagnant and purposeless. But if anything, this camp has made me realise just how much talent is bubbling under the surface among all the youth and how much they need people to help nurture that talent for the Lord. A long time ago I was one of those young faces looking up to the older leaders for a hint of what I could be. Now its my turn to take up the role of being the mentor and I hope somehow, somehow I'm up to the job. And perhaps learn a thing or two myself from them. All for His glory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home