Sunday, March 19, 2006

quiet is the new loud

I know its bit late for this but I feel I have to blog about the Kings of Convenience concert on Thursday. It was just so totally awesome I'm still reeling from the after effects. And its hardly what I'd have expected out of a KOC concert considering that I used to put their music on to lull me to sleep.

Lots of bands sound so much better on recordings than live and in your face but KOC was quite the opposite. Boy I have never heard a band sound so darned good live before. Their acoustic sounds so perfectly clean and clear, not least thanks to their skill at guitar. The whole beauty of their music is the sheer simplicity of it, and they managed to produce such wonderful music, music that had people bopping their heads, snapping their fingers or just closing their eyes to savour, with just two simple guitars and occasionally a stint on the ivory. There was a song where they got the lights in the whole concert hall turned off and just let people indulge themseleves aurally. And when they did I'd Rather Dance With You, they had the whole audience standing and grooving to the tune of just the solitary guitar. But perhaps the best part, in my opinion, was when they got the audience to substitute their missing viola player with themselves! I can't remember what the title of the song was, but they had the audience whistling the viola part while the guitars played the main rhythmic lines. The result was a blend that sounded like a match made in heaven. Utterly and absolutely astounding. The first time I've ever seen the audience not only help the musicians make music, but make gorgeous, beautiful at that!!

I think I can safely classify that as the best concert I've ever been to in my entire life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home