Saturday, December 31, 2005

sup mate?

These days when I meet my cousins on my paternal side at family gatherings and what not, I feel a sense of dread brooding within me. Its not because my cousins and aunties and uncles are terrible people, although some of them are terribly boring. Rather its because they keep going on and on about their intentions to bugger off to good ol Australia and essentially giving Singapore the verbal finger, though not as explicitly of course. But it just frikkin gets my goat hearing them all going on about down under as if it were the bloody El Dorado of the east. Treasure Island ahoy! We gonna be rich me hearties!
SMLJ! I mean, I'm no PAP fondler but dammit. Give this place a chance will ya? Where the hell fo you think you've been living the past God knows how many years? Sierra Leone? Being able to go out on the streets on your own in the middle of the night is a privilege a lot of people don't have. A privilege some people can barely even imagine for that matter. Education, careers, the chance to make your life what you want it to be. Its all here too. It might be more difficult to attain than in Australia, but they're not absent.
I hate that everyone on my paternal side seems to have taken up a complete defeatist attitude about their chances of making it here in Singapore. When I told my cousin that he said that I didn't understand that the working world was a survival of the fittest, to which I asked why instead of trying to get fitter, he was just buggering off to another race category. Its like instead of training up to run a marathon, you settle for the kiddy sack race instead. So you win a prize. Whoop dee doo day. Tra la flowers in the sun with cookies and cream. In my experience, just about nothing that you attained without a struggle is ever really worth it.
Darn it. The way things are looking, in a few years the only way I'm going to collect ang pow from my paternal side is if I get them to courier cheques to me. Either that or paypal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home