Monday, February 26, 2007

le signs

Maybe it's just me but these past few weeks I seem to keep coming across signs that I should be learning French.

Some of these signs are quite reasonable. A whole bunch of the people I hang out with are learning the language for example. Some of them are so into it they're buggering off to France for a year to eat canned salad, jump subway turnstiles and tell clueless gendarmes about life in China. Heck even some of my cycling mates are taking French classes privately. At a birthday party some weeks back the conversation turned to internships and interviews and made me realise just how much a knowledge of French would contribute to me getting the jobs I want. It would be pretty cool to be trilingual I have to admit. Well ok 2-and-a-half-lingual for me considering any attempt on my part to carry on a conversation in Chinese I usually give up halfway.

There have also been a few slightly less lucid signs. For one, a book that I thought perfectly appropriate for the book review that one of my modules requires turned out to be, after much searching and misplaced relief, in French. And then just a couple of hours ago while I was eating dinner, my eyes caught one of the articles printed on the newspaper my mom had used for a placemat. There, right next to the one about how Kim Jong Il's merry men finally came to a resolution about the nuclear issue. "HIJACKER FOILED BECAUSE OF INABILITY TO SPEAK FRENCH". It seems some aircraft hijacker had gone and gotten himself screwed because the pilot and passengers were eagerly plotting against him and he couldn't understand a word they were saying. Wouldn't be surprised if they popped a few Yo Mama jokes too.

On another highly disorganised and completely unrelated note, it totally slipped my mind that February only has 28 days so the book review that I thought was due next Monday is supposed to be handed in this Friday!!!

Sacre bleau....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home