Friday, February 23, 2007

i tawd i sawr a....

You know how us army boys almost always have some kinda ghost story to tell which we would then bring to climax by spinning a yarn about how we were so darned tired from days of arduous, tortorous training that we just didn't give a rat's ass? Well at least I do. And it's 100% true dammit. But anyway, this morning something happened that sent an absolute chill down my spine.

About a month or so back I was walking past the row of houses that line the road directly opposite the Casuarina prata place when I came across a tiny house that seemed decidedly out of place squeezed in between two much larger houses. Unlike the other houses, it also didn't have its backyard walled off. Just an open fence so anyone standing outside could have a full view of the compound. Not that anyone would really bother. The place was dilipidated, infested with overgrown vines and weeds and pitch dark. Not a particularly welcoming sight. But as I walked past the house I saw a pair of arms sticking out of the grille seperating the interior of the building from its backyard. Turning, I saw someone standing there, a young woman I think. I couldn't tell which way her head was facing and her features were completely obscured by the dark. I started a little, but then as I reached the bus stop I felt a tad embarassed at my own jumpiness. "Ahh probably the crazy maid...", I told myself.

I was flipping through the papers to get to the sports section and read the article about how Liverpool came from a goal behind to beat Barca (no I will never get over that) when an article on the first page of the Home section caught my eye. They'd found a skeleton sitting on the toilet in a house along Upper Thomson Road seven months ago and still didn't know who the deceased was. There was a picture of the house too and when I saw it I had to make a conscious effort not to go spewing my pineapple tarts all over the floor. It scared the fucking daylights out of me. All of a sudden I wasn't even sure if I was alone in my own home at 9 am in the morning.

The address was printed in the article and against my better judgement I grabbed a street directory to find out if I was just being paranoid. I looked up the street and when I flipped to the map my heart was pounding like that Dreamtheatre drummer's double pedal. The house was right opposite Casuarina!!...but...not the one I saw the figure at. According to the map at least, the house featured in the article is a few units down from the other.

I can't be sure but I'll be darned if I'm gonna go check it out anytime soon....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home