Saturday, January 28, 2006

typical

Ugh, just got back from the doctors. It seems I've somehow managed to contract some form of viral infection thats making the nerves at the back of my head hyper-sensitive. Not only do I get these excruciating bursts of pain every few seconds, but if I happen to so much as yawn my head explodes into a blaze of agony. Its like I have to stop talking, moving, even breathing just to cope with the pain. Wonderful timing. Just wonderful. Just bloody typical.

The history field trip early this morning didn't help my illness much either. Woke up so friggin early to get down to the Cenotaph by 0900. Well at least it was pretty interesting. Did you know that if you bother to observe our grand old World War I memorial, you'll find pockmarks in the stone, left by Japanese machine gun rounds as their Zero's came in to strafe British positions on the Padang during the Second World War? Or that pre-British Singapore was such an important place that a large and well maintained rampart/wall was actually built all the way from Fort Canning Hill to the coastline to protect these indigenous people, neither Malay nor Chinese nor Indian, from some unknown enemy? It seems Singapore history really isn't as dull as I might've imagined it to be.

Oh but something else I learnt on the trip is that there are really people who just can't get over their army days. I don't mean the talking incessantly about it. That can't be helped. But this guy on the field trip was obviously way too enamoured about his NS experience. Check this out. He was wearing a frikkin Recce unit black polo tee, carrying a camo-patterned tactical haversack (with a water bag inside!), olive green cargo pants, camo-patterned trail shoes and...this takes the cake....a friggin cao with SAF logo emblazoned proudly (and lamely) in front and 'The Decisive Force' embroidered on the back. Like, what on earth man. I know its a Singapore Military History field trip but that doesn't mean we're off to kill some Japs.

Ouch, painkiller time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home