Monday, June 11, 2007

i know you'll call it angst

Isaac Tan is becoming extremely prosperous. And no not in the pocketbook sense. Sorry I work in a PR firm not a bank.

One thing though I've gotten really tired of people giving me an incredulous look and asking what I'm doing in a PR firm when I'm a history major; shouldn't I be in a museum or something. What do I look like to you, dinosaur bones? Singaporeans (and probably people the world over) have this bloody functional fixation that seems to limit itself to liberal arts students. Find a quantum mechanical fizzy sigtzy student working in a bank, accounting firm, pr firm, marketing, finance whatever and it probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows. Swap the former with an english literature major and you'd probably be going "get thee behind me hippie!" in your head.

You know these days it really seems like nobody, absolutely nobody believes in chasing a dream anymore. Or at least a dream that doesn't involve chalking up obscene bank accounts and living the "high" life. If I went and told you what I wanted most in this world is to die knowing I'd given everything to make a difference in somebody's life, you'd scoff at me or worse, you'd give me that patronising look and smile like you meant it. Call me naive, call me a child, call me a fool, someday I'll change the world. I'll prove to you that prosperity has nothing to do with the size of your bank account. I'll prove to you that money only makes the world go around if we let it.

So help me God.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making a difference to someone's life is way richer than making a difference to a bank account. Albeit so much less valued these days. But still it just takes ONE person to touch another's life - no effort is too small in the eyes of God =)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Ernest Tan said...

sweet ambition of wanting to make a positive difference in another person's life.totally respect that!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home