Tuesday, June 14, 2005

in memory

I can't say that I knew Kang Fei very well. Other than us both being part of the same big group that went down to Bukit Timah Plaza every other night to play Warcraft after a long day of studying for A levels.
Hmm, I suppose I really oughta have played less and studied more. But thats not the point here.
For some reason, of all the people I met in my first few days of school, Fei was the one who stuck most in my mind. I was in 1sa1 and he was in 1sa3 and I rememeber talking to him during my first ever F maths lecture. Can't remember what we talked about, but I know that started me going to lectures looking more to talk to people than actually paying attention to what was being said. I remember him telling me about life in ACJC and generally giving advice on how to survive JC life without becoming too much of a nerd. He also warned me not to be like him and treat first year as a 'holiday year' and end up regretting it. All this with a smile and an energy completely unlike most people taking F maths.
Six months ago, I caught up with Fei during the ACJC batch of 2002 reunion at Hard Rock. We just happened to end up at the same table. Basic small talk about how we'd spent the last two years ensued, but somehow I could sense something was distracting him.
Six months later, Fei lies in an ornamented white box with his eyes closed and his arms folded across his chest. If only he was but asleep. He looks so unbelievably small wearing the ACJC blazer, as if the chemo took more than just his hair. He looks like the boy his exterior belies, now that the man within has left.

Take care up there Fei. Finally you get to meet our dear Lord face to face. And heaven is a better place for it.

Be there at the gates when the rest of us finally get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home