Tuesday, August 30, 2005

wind your body, wiggle your belly

Womad, Womad, Womad. What can I say!??? The sights, the smell of food cooking on open fires, the SOUNDS, the charged festival atmosphere, the people dancing madly as artiste's from all overthe world rocked the placed like it was going out of style.
Pity that most of the people there weren't locals. Its a festival for Singaporeans, by Singaporeans, with Singaporeans. I suppose most people worry that the line up of artistes are virtual unknowns in Singapore and play genres of music most of them have never heard before. But being unknown in Singapore is way different from being unknown the world over. A pity that a group like Apache Indian, famous throughout Britain and more than 10 years old, has to concede defeat to Jay Chou. Or...*shudder*...Britney Spears.
Our taste in music seems to pale in comparison to the ang mohs. Not that I'm being a bigot or something, but damn, some of them planned their holidays in Singapore just to coincide with Womad, or came down here just for the festival. And they're not afraid to listen to new genres of music, listen to the music of groups they're unfamiliar with, and enjoy it. I'd consider it one of the best 26 bucks I've ever spent.
Can't wait till 2006! I'll be doing this till I'm grey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home