Friday, June 02, 2006

one month on

Time seems to have passed in such a hurry I can barely believe its been one month since I walked through those departure doors in Changi Airport. Odd how fast it seems when I know for a fact time seemed to crawl like a crippled snail on valium when I'm in one of those games. Time to reflect I guess.

So much has been happening and looking back I think the only reason I've managed to make it this far, met the people I have and learnt all I have is God. Hearing the stories of the other Singporeans about how they got here I realise that mine was pretty much a charmed one. Somebody was definitely looking out for me every step of the way. Things just went so smoothly. No delays, no abrupt changes and somehow people appearing out of nowhere to help me whenever I got into a spot, the ultimate being meeting Peggy and Laurie at 0430 at the Sandusky Amtrak station and not only getting a free ride to Cedar Point but finding a couple of good friends in a unfamiliar place. The alternative would have been waiting 3 hours in the freezing cold with 30 kg of luggage all by myself because the waiting area was locked. Not only that but both of them turned out to be Christians and when I asked them if they could recommend a church, they not only recommended one (the Chapel) but arranged a system such that we'd always have someone coming down to pick us up Sunday mornings. And now I feel God's hand guiding me again. Before coming here I was trying my absolute best to make traveling down to New Orleans a feasible option but failed. And lo and behold the church is organising a week long relief trip to New Orleans to help Hurrican Katrina victims!! Not only do I get to go to New Orleans but I'll be able to see a side not normally seens by tourists. I sense it'll be the most meaningful thing I do here in the States. Its been nine months since the hurricane but a lot of families are still living in houses that look as if it happened last week. If they even have houses at all. I just pray that my manager will agree to give me the 8 days off that I'll need. So far he's told me that he'll try his best to help me get it so thats pretty positive but I'll just have to wait and see.

Well I gotta go for international orientation pretty soon which is stupid because I've already been here for a month. And they treat you like you're an idiot during the orientation because they think we can't understand American english. Well ok, at least its stupid for us Singaporeans but some of those Europeans are really really really bad at English. Even the Thais speak better English than they do. Oh well I guess I'll have to stop here. Work work

Oh and Nicole your pants are here. Do you want me to be a pack horse or do you want me to send em to ya?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home