Thursday, November 10, 2005

suck shit mao

My already decidedly unflattering view of Chinapeople has just been dropped several levels further.
Was happily listnening to my iPod (yes dear i mentioned you) and reading while waiting for the train to arrive when this Chinawoman stomped out in front of me and curtly asked, in accented Chinese, to borrow my phone to make a job enquiry. She was carrying a cut out from the Chinese newspaper with what looked like job ads all over. I'd heard about all those cases of the borrower making hugely expensive overseas calls or running off with the phone and all, but as usual...I'm too frikkin nice.. so I lent it to her rather reluctantly.
Making sure she was never more than 2 m away from me and watching her intently just to be sure, I watched her make three calls instead of just one. But of course I'm too nice. Then the train came and I asked for my phone back politely, at which point she waved me away and refused to reply me and carried on talking to God knows who. The train closed its doors and moved off, leaving me standing there staring at this frikkin Mao-lover and getting really really pissed off. I tried asking politely again and this time she actually completely ignored me and started dialing a 4th number! Luckily, my eternally rebellious phone decided this would be a good time to piss someone off and so 'sim car rejected' started flashing on the screen. Only after trying to make the call 3 or 4 times did she realise the phone had ceased to work, whereupon she gave me a disgusted look, slapped the phone back in my outstretched hand and walked off without a word. Not even a 'thank you' or anything. I was completely flabbergasted, and more than a little angry. But I figured there wasn't much I could do other than cause a scene, and I was in a rush. So I got back to reading.
But it doesn't end here. While reading, an Indian and a Malay woman came up to me asking whether or not I still had my phone. Seeing my astonished expression they explained that they had seen the entire incident; in fact Comrade Cellphone had initially posed the same question to them but they had no phone. Seeing her approach me while they made their way into the train I missed, they quickly alighted at the next stop and headed back to help me out just in case! Like...WOW! Those Mao hugging ching chongs might have hit rock bottom in my book, but Singaporeans just gave themselves something else to brag about. A Malay and an Indian coming to help out a Chinese.

If this don't make ol Uncle Lee's chest swell I don't know what will

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home